<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 15, 2003

Book Reviews 

(OK, so I wait for the paperbacks to come out. Call me cheap, if you must.)

Shelters of Stone - Jean Auel

Reading this book was like putting on an old coat - very familiar, very comfortable. As always, Auel's work is well-researched, well-written, with well-developed characters. The feel of the writing is just like the rest of the Earth's Children series.

However, this fifth installment feels like an intermezzo. It's the story of Ayla and Jondalar's new life with Jondalar's people. But there's clearly something more to come. The conflicts in this book pale compared to those in the earlier books, and hints presage a major conflict to come.

Ayla seems too good to be true. It's become more and more implausible just how much she knows. And I can't imagine Darryl Hannah having played the role in the "Clan of the Cave Bear" movie. What utterly hideous casting.

All in all, I enjoyed the book, though. Don't start with this book, though. Work your way through the series, otherwise this book will be hard to understand.

Red Rabbit - Tom Clancy

In a word - flat.

I'm a Clancy fan. I like the "insider" feel of his books. However, this book is not a techno-thriller. Plenty of techno and tradecraft, but not many thrills. It is pedestrian. It is dull.

There were a number of inside references that were repeated several times, almost verbatim. I found this quite irritating. The thoughts espoused by the characters, especially the "Rabbit" were dogmatic drivel as opposed to character development. While the references to historical timelines and actual events are decoration, as the timelines don't match up. The references to individuals are interesting - I could see Reagan, the Walkers, Aldrich Ames, and others.

If you know the name Mehmet Ali Agca, the climax isn't much of a surprise.

I'm glad I waited for the paperback.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?