<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 01, 2003

"Seabiscuit" 

Before I saw the movie, all I knew was that Seabiscuit was a racehorse. I had no idea how the band of misfits (horse, jockey, trainer, owner) could somehow hoist the spirits of the country during the depths of the Great Depression. Tragedy, comedy, triumph - for individuals, and for the country at large.

However, it all seemed too pat, almost sappy, with everyone fighting the odds, and coming out on top. Fiction at its most convenient - but it's not fiction, it's non-fiction.

It was fun watching Gary Stevens as George Woolf. Stevens was a long-time jockey at Seattle's Longacres racetrack before he hit the big time.

I liked it. Worth seeing, definitely. Makes me want to read Laura Hillenbrand's book.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?